The Bugs and Brains Study needs to have a range of strict selection criteria to make sure it is scientifically rigorous.
Listed below are a list of 8 items relating to some of the main selection criteria for the Bugs and Brains Study. If you answer ‘YES’ to all 8 items, you may be eligible for participation in the study.
Aged between 18-40 years.
Living in Greater Melbourne or Greater Geelong (or, if not, willing to travel to Melbourne to participate in the Bugs and Brains study).
Fluent in written and spoken English.
NOT pregnant or lactating.
NEVER been diagnosed with any of the following mental health disorders:
- Any psychotic disorder (e.g., Schizophrenia, Schizophreniform Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder, Delusional Disorder, Brief Psychotic Disorder).
- Any bipolar disorder (e.g., Bipolar I disorder, Bipolar II disorder, Cyclothymic Disorder, Mania, Hypomania, Manic-Depression).
- Any eating disorder (e.g., Anorexia Nervosa, Bullimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder).
- Any somatic disorder (e.g., Somatic Symptom Disorder, Illness Anxiety Disorder, Factitious Disorder, Conversion Disorder, Hypochondriasis).
Substance Use Disorder
In the past 12 months, NO DIAGNOSIS of any Substance Use Disorder (e.g., Alcohol, Cannabis, Hallucinogen, Inhalant, Opioid, Sedative, Hypnotic, Anxiolytic, and/or Stimulant Use Disorders)
DO NOT currently have any of the following physical health conditions:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Respiratory disease
- Diabetes mellitus (Diabetes Type 1 or 2, Gestational Diabetes)
- Liver cirrhosis
- Fatty liver disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Short bowel syndrome
- History of abdominal surgery
- Coeliac, or other autoimmune disease
If you answered ‘YES’ to all these items, and would like to find out more about the Bugs and Brains study, please click here to provide us with your contact details, or call us on (03) 8344 1845. We will then send you some information about the study, and a member of our team will give you a call to discuss what participation involves.
If you are not sure whether you meet the 8 selection criteria outlined above, or would like to discuss your potential eligibility with a member of our team, please click here to provide us with your contact details, or call us on (03) 8344 1845
If you are not eligible for the study (or prefer not to take part), but would like to receive updates and newsletters about the study, please click here to provide us with your contact details.
Contact the Bugs and Brains Study by completing the details below, or call us on (03) 8344 1845.
If you have concerns about your physical or mental health, please contact your GP, or call Lifeline on 13 11 14. General health information can be found at www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au. General mental health information can be found at www.beyondblue.org.au. In case of emergency, please call 000 immediately.
Funding for this study was received through the Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences.