Visual Cognition Laboratory
|Dr Piers Douglas Howefirstname.lastname@example.org||+61 3 8344 6287||View page|
I have a general interest in cognition, with a particular interest in visual perception. For a summary of past research projects please see the publication listing on my webpage. Most of these publications are downloadable. My current research questions are:
How does visual attention work? What are its limitations?
How does one attend to multiple objects simultanously?
How does one search for a particular object in the visual scene?
How does one detect a change to a scene?
If you are interested in doing a PhD in any aspect of cognition or visual perception, please feel free to email me.
See "Download Research Publication PDF" below for a complete listing, 2000 - 2015, of Dr Howe's publications.
- Holcombe AO, Chen W-Y & Howe PDL. Object tracking: Absence of long-range spatial interference supports resource theories. Journal of Vision (in press).
- Howe PDL, Webb ME. Detecting unidentified changes. PLoS ONE 2014; 9(1): e84490. Download pdf
- Howe PDL, Holcombe AO, Lapierre MD, Cropper SJ. Visually tracking and localising expanding and contracting objects. Perception 2013; 42(12): 1281-1300. Download pdf
- Lapierre M, Howe PDL, Cropper SJ. Transfer of learning between hemifields in multiple object tracking: Memory reduces constraints of attention. PLoS ONE 2013; 8(12): e83872. Download pdf
- Bowers AR, Anastasio RJ, Sheldon SS, O'Connor MG, Holis AM, Howe PDL, Horowitz TS. Can we improve clinical prediction of at-risk older drivers?Accident Analysis & Prevention 2013; 59: 537-547. Download pdf
- Chen WY, Howe PDL, Holcombe AO. Resource demands of object tracking and differential allocation of the resource.Attention, Perception & Psychophysics 2013; 75(4): 710-725. Download pdf
- Howe PD, Holcombe AO. Motion information is sometimes used as an aid to the visual tracking of objects. Journal of Vision 2012; 12(13): 1-10. Download pdf
- Howe PD, Holcombe AO. The effect of visual distinctiveness on multiple object tracking performance. Frontiers In Perception Science 2012; 3: 307. Download pdf
- Hudson C, Howe PD, Little DR. Hemifield effects in multiple identity tracking. PLoS One 2012; 7(8). Download pdf
- Howe PD, Incledon NC, Little DR. Can attention be confined to just part of a moving object? Revisiting target-distractor merging in multiple object tracking. PLoS One 2012; 7(7). Download pdf
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Dr Piers Douglas Howe