PhD Scholarship available for international project on attention and prediction
A PhD scholarship is available as part of a joint PhD program organised by The University of Melbourne (Australia) and the Research Centre Jülich (Germany) to work on the role of attention in predictive visual processing.
The project will combine psychophysics, time-resolved EEG decoding, and functional MRI approaches to study how visual attention interacts with predictive mechanisms in human visual cortex.
The 3-year PhD position is part of the JUMPA joint postgraduate academy (https://jumpa.research.unimelb.edu.au/), and the successful candidate will spend part of his/her candidature in Australia and part in Germany. Upon completion, the candidate will obtain a degree from both the University of Melbourne and the University of Cologne. Travel funds are available to facilitate the transition at half time of the candidature.
Candidates will be supervised by Dr. Hinze Hogendoorn at UoM (http://www.timinglab.org) and by Dr. Simone Vossel and Dr. Ralph Weidner (https://www.fz-juelich.de/inm/inm-3/EN/Home/home_node.html) in Jülich.
The successful candidate will have:
- An Undergraduate (with Honours) or Master’s degree in Cognitive (neuro)science, Biology, Psychology, Computer Science, or related discipline
- An affinity with programming, including demonstrable programming skill in Matlab
- Excellent English communication skills (written and spoken)
- Intrinsic motivation, initiative, and an ability to work independently
- An affinity for international collaboration
- Previous research experience with experimental psychology or cognitive neuroscience techniques (psychophysics, EEG, fMRI, TMS etc) is desirable.
Submissions should include
a) a cover letter addressing the motivation for the application and the selection criteria,
b) a curriculum vitae with the relevant information (including previous publications),
c) a transcript of recent university marks and certificates of previous degree(s).
For any questions or for submission of applications please email Hinze Hogendoorn at email@example.com. The deadline for application is June 30, 2019.