Visual Cognition Laboratory
+61 3 8344 6287
I have a general interest in cognition, with a particular interest in visual perception. For a summary of past research projects please see the publication listing on my webpage. Most of these publications are downloadable. My current research questions are:
How does visual attention work? What are its limitations?
How does one attend to multiple objects simultanously?
How does one search for a particular object in the visual scene?
How does one detect a change to a scene?
If you are interested in doing a PhD in any aspect of cognition or visual perception, please feel free to email me.
See "Download Research Publication PDF" below for a complete listing, 2000 - 2015, of Dr Howe's publications.
- Holcombe AO, Chen W-Y & Howe PDL. Object tracking: Absence of long-range spatial interference supports resource theories. Journal of Vision (in press).
- Howe PDL, Webb ME. Detecting unidentified changes. PLoS ONE 2014; 9(1): e84490. Download pdf
- Howe PDL, Holcombe AO, Lapierre MD, Cropper SJ. Visually tracking and localising expanding and contracting objects. Perception 2013; 42(12): 1281-1300. Download pdf
- Lapierre M, Howe PDL, Cropper SJ. Transfer of learning between hemifields in multiple object tracking: Memory reduces constraints of attention. PLoS ONE 2013; 8(12): e83872. Download pdf
- Bowers AR, Anastasio RJ, Sheldon SS, O'Connor MG, Holis AM, Howe PDL, Horowitz TS. Can we improve clinical prediction of at-risk older drivers?Accident Analysis & Prevention 2013; 59: 537-547. Download pdf
- Chen WY, Howe PDL, Holcombe AO. Resource demands of object tracking and differential allocation of the resource.Attention, Perception & Psychophysics 2013; 75(4): 710-725. Download pdf
- Howe PD, Holcombe AO. Motion information is sometimes used as an aid to the visual tracking of objects. Journal of Vision 2012; 12(13): 1-10. Download pdf
- Howe PD, Holcombe AO. The effect of visual distinctiveness on multiple object tracking performance. Frontiers In Perception Science 2012; 3: 307. Download pdf
- Hudson C, Howe PD, Little DR. Hemifield effects in multiple identity tracking. PLoS One 2012; 7(8). Download pdf
- Howe PD, Incledon NC, Little DR. Can attention be confined to just part of a moving object? Revisiting target-distractor merging in multiple object tracking. PLoS One 2012; 7(7). Download pdf
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Laboratory Director Dr Piers Douglas Howe
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.