Prof Amy Jordan
+61 3 8344 6357
Dr Christian L Nicholas
+61 3 8344 3935
The Sleep Laboratory conducts a variety of sleep related research including the effects of poor sleep on mental health and cognition, as well as research to better understand the causes for sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea.
- Respiratory and cardiovascular aspects of sleep in the context of Obstructive Sleep Apnoea (including role of lung volume, arousal from sleep, OSA in Quadriplegia, treatment using acupuncture and surgical weight loss, and upper airway physiology).
- The effects of alcohol on sleep and memory in adolescence
- Sleep related control of the upper airway muscles
- Fatigue/sleepiness in airline cabin crew
- Sleep and Mental Health
- Sleep and addiction
- Sleep disruption and negative memory bias
- Emertius Professor John Trinder
- Professor Ian Colrain
- Dr Julia Chan
- Dr Joanne Avraam
- Mr Andrew Dawson
- Ms Therese Thorton
- Candice Wen
- Caitlyn Gourlay
- Claire Jenkins
- Nicole Feast
- Harvard Medical School
- SRI International
- Institute for Breathing and Sleep, Austin Health
- Neuroscience Research Australia
- The effects of experimental sleep fragmentation and sleep deprivation on the response of the genioglossus muscle to inspiratory resistive loads. Cori JM, Nicholas CL, Avraam J, Lee VV, Schembri R, Jackson ML and Jordan AS. J Clin Sleep Med, In Press.
- The Influence of CO2 on Genioglossus Muscle After-Discharge Following Arousal From Sleep. Cori JM, Rochford PD, O'Donoghue FJ, Trinder J, Jordan AS. Sleep. 2017 Nov 1;40(11). doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsx160. PMID: 29029284
- Arousal-Induced Hypocapnia Does Not Reduce Genioglossus Activity in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Cori JM, Thornton T, O'Donoghue FJ, Rochford PD, White DP, Trinder J, Jordan AS. Sleep. 2017 Jun 1;40(6). doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsx057. PMID: 28419356
- Physiology of Arousal in Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Potential Impacts for Sedative Treatment. Jordan AS, O'Donoghue FJ, Cori JM, Trinder J. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Oct 1;196(7):814-821. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201612-2511PP. No abstract available. PMID: 28399379
- Sleep Duration and Sleep Quality: Associations With Depressive Symptoms Across Adolescence. Raniti MB, Allen NB, Schwartz O, Waloszek JM, Byrne ML, Woods MJ, Bei B, Nicholas CL, Trinder J. Behav Sleep Med. 2017 May-Jun;15(3):198-215. doi: 10.1080/15402002.2015.1120198. Epub 2016 Jan 8. PMID: 26744783
- Mechanisms of the deep, slow-wave, sleep-related increase of upper airway muscle tone in healthy humans. Hicks A, Cori JM, Jordan AS, Nicholas CL, Kubin L, Semmler JG, Malhotra A, McSharry DGP, Trinder JA. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2017 May 1;122(5):1304-1312. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00872.2016. Epub 2017 Mar 2. PMID: 28255086 Free Article
- Objective but not subjective sleep predicts memory in community-dwelling older adults. Cavuoto MG, Ong B, Pike KE, Nicholas CL, Bei B, Kinsella GJ. J Sleep Res. 2016 Aug;25(4):475-85. doi: 10.1111/jsr.12391. Epub 2016 Feb 12.
- Nasal Resistance Is Elevated in People with Tetraplegia and Is Reduced by Topical Sympathomimetic Administration. Gainche L, Berlowitz DJ, LeGuen M, Ruehland WR, O'Donoghue FJ, Trinder J, Graco M, Schembri R, Eckert DJ, Rochford PD, Jordan AS. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016 Nov 15;12(11):1487-1492. PMID: 27568894 Free PMC Article
- The effect of body mass and sex on the accuracy of respiratory magnetometers for measurement of end-expiratory lung volumes. Avraam J, Bourke R, Trinder J, Nicholas CL, Brazzale D, O'Donoghue FJ, Rochford PD, Jordan AS. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2016 Nov 1;121(5):1169-1177. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00571.2016. Epub 2016 Oct 7. PMID: 27763876 Free Article
- Discharge properties of upper airway motor units during wakefulness and sleep. Trinder J, Jordan AS, Nicholas CL. Prog Brain Res. 2014;212:59-75. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-63488-7.00004-5. Review. PMID: 25194193
- Calcagni SC, Bei B, Milgrom J, Trinder J. (In Press). The relationship between sleep and mood in first-time and experienced mothers. Behavioral Sleep Medicine.
- O'Dricoll DM, Horne RSC, Davey MJ, Hope SA, Anderson V, Trinder J, Walker AM, Nixon GM. (In Press). Cardiac and sympathetic activation are reduced in children with down syndrome and sleep disordered breathing. Sleep (accepted May, 2012).
- Biggs SN, Walter L, Nisbet L, Jackman AR, Anderson V, Nixon GM, Davey MJ, Trinder J, Hoffman R, Armitage R, Horne RSC. (In Press). Time course of EEG slow-wave activity in pre-school children with sleep disordered breathing. A possible mechanism for daytime deficits? Sleep Medicine, (Accepted May, 2012).
- Bei B, Coo Calcagni S, Milgrom J, Trinder J. (In Press). Day-to-day alteration of 24-hour sleep pattern immediately before and after giving birth. Sleep and Biological Rhythms, (Accepted April, 2012).
- Bei B, Byrne ML, Ivens C, Waloszek J, Woods MJ, Dudgeon P, Murray G, Nicholas CL, Trinder J, Allen NB. (In Press). Pilot study of a mindfulness-based,, multicomponent, in-school, group, sleep intervention in adolescent girls. Early Intervention in Psychiatry, (Accepted April, 2012).
- Goff EA, Nicholas CL, Kleiman J, Spear O, Morrell MJ, Trinder J. (In Press). The effect of flow limitation on the cardio-respiratory response to arousal from sleep in healthy older adults. Journal of Sleep Research, (accepted March, 2012).
- Walter LM, Nixon GM, Davey MJ, Anderson V, Trinder J, Walker A, Horne RSC. (In Press). Differential effects of sleep disordered breathing on polysomnographic characteristics in preschool and school aged children. Sleep Medicine, (accepted March, 2012)
- Baker FC, Sassoon S, Kahan T, Palaniappan L, Nicholas CL, Trinder J, Colrain I. (In Press). Perceived poor sleep quality in the absence of polysomnographic sleep disturbance in women with severe premenstrual syndrome. Journal of Sleep Research, (Accepted January, 30th., 2012).
- Jackman AR, Biggs SN, Walter LM, Embuldeniya US, Davey MJ, Nixon GM, Anderson V, Trinder J, Horne RSC. (In Press).Sleep-disordered breathing in preschool children is associated with behavioral but not cognitive impairments. Sleep Medicine, (Accepted January 30, 2012).
- Nicholas CL, Jordan AS, Heckel L, Worsnop C, Bei B, Saboisky JP, Eckert DJ, White DP, Malhotra A, Trinder J. Discharge patterns of human tensor palatini motor units during sleep onset. Sleep 2012; 35: 699-707.
- Saboisky JP, Stashuk DW, Hamilton-Wright A, Carusona AL, Campana LM, Trinder J, Eckert DJ, Jordan AS, McSharry DG, White DP, Nandedkar S, David WS. Malhotra A. (In Press). Neurogenic changes in the upper airway of Obstructive Sleep Apnea patients. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (Accepted November, 2011).
- Horne RSC, Yang JSC, Nicholas CL, Nixon GM, Davey MJ, Anderson V, Walker AM, Trinder J. (In Press). EEG spectral analysis of respiratory event termination in children. Sleep and Breathing, (Accepted April, 2011).
- Bourke R, Anderson V, Yang JSC, Jackman AR, Killedar A, Nixon GM, Davey MJ, Walker AM, Trinder J, Horne RSC. Author response to dehydration during sleep affects cognitive performance. Sleep Medicine 2012;13: 118-119.
- Trinder J, Waloszek JM, Woods MJ, Jordan AS. Sleep and cardiovascular regulation. Pflugers Archiv – European Journal of Physiology 2012; 463: 161-168.
This Research Group doesn't currently have any projects
Faculty Research Themes
School Research Themes
For further information about this research, please contact Laboratory Director Prof Amy Jordan
Department / Centre
Unit / Centre
MDHS Research library
Explore by researcher, school, project or topic.